Sara Connor jailed for four years over fatal assault on Bali policeman

Posted March 14, 2017

Indonesian judges sentences Connor for four years and British man David Taylor for six years in prison for the murder of an Indonesian police officer in August, 2016.

David Taylor, 33, and his Australian girlfriend Sarah Connor, 45, are said to have battered Wayan Sudarsa in August previous year.

Taylor said he got into a fight with Sudarsa, who was on duty, after Connor realized she had lost her handbag and accused Sudarsa of being a fake police officer and stealing it.

"The defendant's action was not meant to separate (them) but to help David Taylor so that the victim could not fight back".

Mr Taylor admitted to striking Mr Sudarsa with a bottle and binoculars but said he thought he was still breathing when the couple left the beach and did not know the seriousness of the local man's injuries.

Her British DJ boyfriend, David James Taylor, was convicted of the same offence and jailed for six years.

Erwin Siregar, a lawyer for Connor, said an appeal was being considered.

Gander Mountain, subsidiaries file for Chapter 11 reorganization
A Wisconsin station in our corporate family, WEAU, is reporting the Augusta location is one of the 32 stores that will be closed. Gander Mountain was founded in 1960 in Wilmot, an unincorporated community in Kenosha County, as a catalog retailer.

"We do believe that our son David feared for his own life that night and his actions reflect that", his father, John Taylor, a priest from the United Kingdom, told the press after the ruling.

On August 17 previous year, Sudarsa's body was found on Kuta Beach covered in dozens of wounds, alongside broken beer bottles, a splintered surfboard and his walkie-talkie. Mr Purnomo claimed that Taylor bashed the officer with a mobile phone, yelling at him: "You have stolen the bag, you are a fake police".

Connor and Taylor had faced three charges each - murder (unpremeditated), carrying a 15-year maximum, group violence causing death carrying 12 years and assault causing death with a seven-year maximum.

Connor appeared in court immediately after Taylor's sentencing.

However he claimed during his four-month trial that he had been in "fear of his life" and acted in self defence during the late-night brawl, and never meant to kill the officer. They are now being looked after by her ex husband.

Prosecutors do not want the court to press ahead with the murder charge, conceding that the attack on Mr Sudarsa lacked an intent to kill. Ms Arsini immediately called her son who told her he was already at Sanglah Hospital morgue, where her husband's body was being held.

By contrast, Connor always denied guilt, saying she had nothing to do with the fight with the officer.

Recently in World News