MANILA: Police identify lone gunman who killed 36 people in Casino attack

Posted June 06, 2017

The lone gunman in the deadly Resorts World Manila incident that left 38 people dead, including the suspect, was a former government worker buried in debt, police said on Sunday.

Relatives of the gunman approached the police early Sunday and positively identified him, said Albayalde. The alleged attacker also worked for the Filipino Department of Finance as a tax specialist until 2014, when he was sacked for failing to truthfully declare his assets and liabilities.

The suspect, who killed himself after the attack at Resorts World, owed at least $80,000 dollars in credit card debts and had recently sold his pickup truck because of financial problems, Albayalde said.

"He was barred by PAGCOR [Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation] from all casinos at the request of next of kin", Albayalde said. He later doused his bed with gasoline and shot himself to death in the hotel room he retreated.

But Albayalde and other police chiefs said repeatedly throughout Friday that recorded security footage showed the gunman drove to the casino and parked his vehicle in the complex's auto park.

Carlos had entered the capital's Resorts World Casino and began shooting, before setting fire to a gaming room.

NOT A TERRORIST ATTACK Authorities had repeatedly insisted last week that the incident at Resorts World Manila, which is located near the Philippines' main worldwide airport, was not an act of terrorism but a botched robbery attempt.

In 2014, Philippine newspapers had reported that Carlos was sacked from his job at the government's Finance Department "for grave misconduct and neglect of duty" because he failed to disclose that he owned a Manila house, a Toyota SUV and other business interests - an annual requirement for government officials and employees.

Oklahoma rallies, Vanderbilt survives a scare in NCAA golf
High School Softball All games at UT-Austin's McCombs Field Class 4A Semifinals #2 Krum (37-4) vs #5 Beeville Jones (34-6), 9 a.m. Wednesday #8 Archer City (28-6-2) vs #7 Bells (30-3), noon Wednesday Class 2A Championship Game 1 winner vs Game 2 winner, 3 p.m.

The Islamic State earlier claimed responsibility for the incident.

Albayalde said the security footage also indicated a clear motive. He forced his way into Room 510, where minutes later, police and hotel security found him inside the room, underneath covers he had set on fire, with the tip of his M4 rifle pointed towards his mouth.

Albayalde said they won't allow any terrorist group to use this attack for their publicity.

This is because most of the 37 fatalities suffocated after inhaling thick smoke from the fire.

Although the attacker was well armed — Albayalde said he was carrying 90 bullets in three rifle clips — there are no confirmed reports that he shot any civilians.

The President arrived at 11:10 p.m.at Veronica Memorial Chapel, where he visited the wake of the Taiwanese victims Hing Tung Tsung, Lai Wei-Chung, and Lai Yu-Chieh; and a Filipino, Carmelita de la Cruz.

The Strait Times reported that Albayalde said Carlos' family said he had been hooked on gambling and was in debt by at least four million pesos, the USA equivalent of $111,897.

"He is heavily indebted due to being hooked on casino gambling, according to his immediate family", Abayalde said, reiterating the attack was not a terrorist act.