Former Milwaukee cop 'thankful' at acquittal

Posted June 22, 2017

The encounter started as a traffic stop and turned into a foot chase. Prosecutors contended Smith didn't pose a threat before Heaggan-Brown fired again. Smith was on the ground when he received the fatal shot.

Smith's death brought to the surface long-simmering tensions between black Milwaukee residents and police, and demonstrators assembled near the site of the shooting in Sherman Park hours after it happened.

Heaggan-Brown was sacked from the Milwaukee Police Department last fall on sexual assault charges, according to the New York Times. Jonathan Smith, Officer Heaggan-Brown's lawyer, told jurors that officers were taught to use the "one-plus rule" - or to expect that if a person has one weapon, he might have another.

Heaggan-Brown, 25, faced 60 years in prison. The sexual assault case wasn't mentioned during the trial because it's being tried separately.

FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office shows Sylville Smith. Not only did they acquit him on the first-degree reckless homicide charge, but they also declined to choose lesser options that included second-degree reckless homicide and homicide by negligent operation of a risky weapon.

Trump rolls back some, not all, changes in US-Cuba relations
Cuba policy could threaten new bilateral agreements with Havana to combat human trafficking, illicit drugs and cyber crimes. Members of Cuba's small but vibrant independent civil society say they fear the new policy will do more harm than good.

After two days of deliberations, jurors found ex-officer Dominique Heaggan-Brown not guilty of first-degree reckless homicide in the death of Smith. Heaggan-Brown was acquitted of all charges Wednesday.

News of Dominique Heaggan-Brown's acquittal has sparked plenty of reactions on Twitter. He was charged with assaulting a man a day after he fatally shot Smith.

In a request filled with tears, the sister of an unarmed black man killed by a former Milwaukee police officer called for the community to come together and be peaceful after a not-guilty verdict. "It's not. We have to go back - and I can't tell exactly how many frames but we have to go back two-tenths or three-tenths of a second - we have to go back several frames ... to delve into the decision-making process that goes into firing this shot".

Smith - who had a "lengthy arrest record" - was lying on the ground when he received another shot that killed him. As they exited their squad auto, Mr. Smith, who was armed with a handgun, darted away and ran into a yard with a chain-link fence.

The 12-member jury included four African-Americans. The following morning Heaggan-Brown reportedly left the man at a Milwaukee area hospital, then text a Police Department superior to say he had made a mistake and wanted "to handle this in the most secret and right way possible".

Recently in National