40 killed in Mogadishu bomb blast

Posted October 15, 2017

Several others have been injured from the blast in the Somalian capital, which took plane in an area surrounded by government offices, hotels and restaurants.

CBC News reported that the attack targeted a hotel on the central street. A truck loaded with explosives went off at the entrance of a hotel, according to security sources. While there was no immediate claim of responsibility for Saturday's blast, al-Shabab often targets high-profile areas of Mogadishu with deadly bombings.

The blast near Zobe, a busy road intersection, may have been a suicide bomber, a police official told VOA.

Emergency services and ambulances arrived at the scene. Police expect the death toll to rise and said dozens of people were hurt.

Celebrate a pollution free Diwali says Yuvraj Singh
The graded reduction in the sale of crackers will start from November 1 onwards, the SC also said. The Supreme Court has banned the sale of firecrackers in Delhi till November 1.

David Concar, the British ambassador to Somalia, said in a Twitter post that the blast could be heard clearly from inside his country's embassy.

A second attack has also been reported in the Madina district. "I could see smoke from my back and the whole place was shaking", said Hamdi, adding that "We learn the police had been trailing the vehicle with explosives".

The country's defense minister and army chief resigned earlier in the week. The militants emerged out of a bitter insurgency fighting Ethiopia, whose troops entered Somalia in a US-backed invasion in 2006 to topple the Islamic Courts Union that was then controlling Mogadishu.

Somalis gather and search for survivors by destroyed buildings at the scene of a blast in the capital Mogadishu, Somalia, Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017.