Three Dead, Search on for Others After Landslide at Malaysia Construction Site

Posted October 22, 2017

Several Bangladeshi workers are believed to be trapped at a construction site following a landslide in George Town, capital of the northwest Malaysian state of Penang, authorities said on Saturday.

Those trapped were identified as foreign workers from Indonesia and Bangladesh, including one Rohingya and one Pakistani, fire officials said in an update of the search.

Between 15 and 20 people were buried by the landslide, the fire department said.

Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak has expressed sadness over the deadly landslide at a construction site in Tanjung Bungah, Penang earlier this morning.

Officials said three foreign workers have been killed and 11 others are missing until now.

Antonio Conte commits to Chelsea after 'year of suffering'
The Chelsea manager won the title last season in his debut campaign. "For two weeks I am reading wrong things", he said. When I chose to utilise him in midfield against Tottenham I played with three central midfielders.

Bangladeshi Mohammad Jashim Hussein Ahmad, who was working in the area at the time, told the state-run Bernama news agency the landslide happened suddenly and was over in minute, and the other workers had no time to run.

The weather was dry at the time of the accident and Penang had not had heavy rains for some days, according to officials.

"(I feel) Sad about the landslide in Tanjung Bungah.

"We found out between 15 to 20 victims may be buried in the land slope estimated to be 10 metres and we have started search and rescue efforts", the spokesman told Channel NewsAsia.

The Immigration Department has so far deported 42,985 illegal foreigners this year, Mustafa said, urging the public not to harbour any undocumented foreigners.