Gretchen Carlson: 'Horrifying' that Fox would let O'Reilly back on air

Posted October 25, 2017

Bill O'Reilly reportedly settled a sexual harassment suit for $32 million earlier this year, months before he was sacked by Fox News.

It was already shocking when Fox News chose to dump its top-rated host Bill O'Reilly, after mounting revelations of sexual harassment and multi-million dollar settlements, earlier this year.

The parent company of Fox News says it knew about a settlement over sexual harassment allegations against Bill O'Reilly by an on-air analyst before the company extended the ex-host's $25 million contract in February.

According to the NYT, O'Reilly's actions in the Wiehl matter took the form of "allegations of repeated harassment, a nonconsensual sexual relationship and the sending of gay pornography and other sexually explicit material to her, according to the people briefed on the matter".

End of Marawi conflict dawns after death of Omar Maute, Hapilon
Following his appointment, Hapilon, based in Basilan, combined his terror unit with the Maute Group in central Mindanao. Defence chiefs last month said other Philippine militant leaders had been killed in the battle for Marawi.

Given the attention that Fox News hosts have paid to the Weinstein story, it will be interesting to see whether O'Reilly's massive settlement receives much, or any, coverage from the network's primetime opinionators and moralists.

Gretchen Carlson, who received $20 million past year after claims against Fox News CEO Roger Ailes, tweeted her take on the matter: "Nobody pays $32m for false allegations - nobody".

It was at least the sixth agreement - and by far the largest - made by either Mr. O'Reilly or the company to settle harassment allegations against him. O'Reilly has dismissed the charges as baseless, telling the Times that they are "politically and financially motivated". O'Reilly denied doing anything improper in an interview with the Times. O'Reilly hasn't exactly been exiled from Fox News either - he recently appeared on Sean Hannity's show, where he lamented not fighting harder to keep his job. O'Reilly was sacked in April, after the Times reported five women were paid a collective $13 million to stay silent about their harassment allegations against him. O'Reilly's record-breaking contract came just months after the Murdochs pushed out Roger Ailes, who built the network into the cultural force it is today, over allegations of Ailes's own longtime pattern of alleged sexual impropriety. 'It's done as a way to put a hammer over the individual who signs so they will never come forward and disclose the allegations, ' she said.