Robinho sentenced to nine years in prison for sexual assault

Posted November 24, 2017

Brazilian star Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in prison for sexual assault, according to reports in Italy.

Because of that, the verdict is effectively put on hold until the appeals process is completed and no sentence will be enforced until then.

Five other men were also found guilty along with the player, who now represents Atlético Mineiro.

A statement posted on his official Instagram account also says: "'We would like to clarify that he has already defended himself against the accusations, affirming that he did not participate in the episode", said a statement posted on Robinho's Instagram feed. Every legal action is now under consideration.

The Brazilian star had previously been accused of sexual assault while at City in 2009, but was later cleared of the charges.

Pakistan's Mohammad Hazeef suspended by ICC for illegal bowling action
Just a couple of months later, however, he was reported again during the Galle Test against Sri Lanka. In April 2015, his bowling action was passed as legal by the governing body.

The 2014 statement also made reference to the earlier claim and suggested it was being used "in an opportunistic manner" with regard to the alleged incident in Milan.

Robinho, who now plays for Atletico Mineiro in his homeland, played for AC Milan from 2010 to 2015.

It was not stated where the other four men were and the Milan court ordered the victim to receive €60,000 (£53,432) as compensation. "All legal measures are being taken".

Camera IconRobinho failed to set the Premier League alight during his time with Manchester City.

That sparkling form led him to Real Madrid, where he starred for three seasons before earning a lucrative move to Manchester City in 2008.