Earlier today, the Wall Street Journal reported Google discovered the flaw, which exposed the data of thousands of users, earlier this year. Chief Executive Sundar Pichai was briefed on the plan not to notify users after an internal committee had reached that decision, the people said.
In the blog post, Smith says Google discovered the bug in March as part of Project Strobe-"a root-and-branch review of third-party developer access to Google account and Android device data and of our philosophy around apps' data access".
The company hopes these new API access rules will curb the practice of developing simplistic Gmail add-ons that use intrusive permissions to perform machine analysis on emails' texts, harvest user data for ad targeting, track the success of email campaigns, or other nefarious purposes.
Google addressed the breach in its post saying it "discovered and immediately patched" a bug in March 2018. Nowadays, you head over to Google+ and it is truly a ghost town, that has been taken over by spammers. This time frame is so little that Google could not confirm which users were impacted by the incident.
According to Smith, the vulnerability didn't rise to the level of requiring a notification. Google claims that they didn't tell its users because they believed that without sufficient information on who was hacked, they found it wouldn't be useful to identify the public on the matter.
Twitter goes insane over James Franklin's playcalling with game on line
And the Lions, confident and surging for most of the night, froze up with an entire nation of college football fans watching. On the play, left guard Steven Gonzalez launched himself into Ohio State's second level, expecting Sanders to be behind him.
Google+ launched in 2011 as the advertising giant grew more concerned about competition from Facebook, which could pinpoint ads to users based on data they had shared about their friends, likes and online activity. Uber kept a 2016 data breach secret, and that just resulted in a $148 million fine.
To make the closure of the service as seamless as possible, Google says it'll implement a "wind-down" period over the next 10 months with the goal to have everyone off Google+ and officially pull the plug by the end of August 2019. The official explanation from company representatives is that a thorough study of potentially affected users was completed before the public announcement was made.
However, while doing this security review, Google decided that keeping the social network going was too much work.
U.S. lawmakers are concerned that the big tech companies have come under scrutiny for a variety of reasons in recent years.
Several policies Google introduced on Monday are created to curb the data accessible to developers offering mobile apps on the Google Play store or add-on apps for sending and organizing Gmail messages. If an app wants access to a Calendar and Drive documents, for example, you can opt to share one but not the other. Any Android app can ask permission to access a users' phone and SMS data.